Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Fly to the mainland


I had an opportunity to see my parents who were visiting the West coast, so I took a trip to see them and some other family and friends. While at the airport I saw this beautifully carved tiki at the airport gift shop.


Looking at his white butt cheeks, made me wonder if it was the one we watched our friend Jacques carving when we were in Hanavave Bay, in Fatu Hiva, in the Marquesas last year. Maybe?!? Looked quite similar!


The flight to the mainland takes about 8 hours. I flew on the new airline called French Bee, which had only been in operation for about a month. But they fly to San Francisco and all the other flights go to Los Angeles. I was heading for Oregon to meet my folks. Because the first flight was delayed for 18 hours, in order to get to Portland, I had to fly first to Seattle then back again!! Uhg, but at least I made it. On the way up the NW coast I was surprised to see snow on June 21st!! It was quite exciting for this girl who has been living in the tropics for decades now. I had Mike help me figure out what mountains they are, since he is more familiar with the NW area. So our best guess is that this is Mount Shasta.


Mount Shasta way below the wing tip of my Alaskan Airlines flight to Seattle. Hey we must be back in the USA, look at that wing tip!


Still Mount Shasta, I believe.


Three more snow covered peaks! Must be the Three Sisters wilderness area.


The Three Sisters shine in the sun.


I am totally amazed at the amount of snow on these three mountains.


We believe it is Mount Jefferson, but don't quote me.


What a lovely pointed peak Jefferson has.


This one I think is Mount Hood, which is even taller and fully covered with snow!


Then I see this one with the top blown off! Easy to figure out, Mount Saint Helens. She is a gentle reminder that all of these mountains are really volcanoes in disguise!!


Mount Saint Helens with Mount Hood in the background.


We are starting to descend into SeaTac, so this must be Mount Rainer.


Tacoma, Washington is quite the booming shipping and industrial area.


The ferries are crossing Puget Sound with passengers and cars, to the many islands and peninsulas out there.


The sunlight drifting through the clouds toward Puget Sound.


On my third plane, we circle around Portland and I get some great views of the Columbia river to the East.


The Columbia is one of the largest rivers on the West coast and has many islands in her center.


She is so lovely farther East heading toward the “Gorge”.


Vancouver Washington is just on the North side of the river from Portland.


The river seems to curve and wind under the plane.


One of the famous Portland house boat marinas along the river.


With a closer up view, you can see these really are floating homes, not just regular boats!


Not sure what that big tall thing is in the middle of the river up there, but it seems like there are many berms and dams to divert the water to where they want it to flow.


I finally arrive at my friends Marty and Jeannine's house in Vancouver. Jeannine and I had worked together at Yachtfinders in San Diego, many moons ago. They are now CLODs (cruisers living on dirt) and have a beautiful home with a magnificent view of Portland from their upper deck. The little dormer window on this end is Marty's office work space, which feels like looking out a port hole from the inside.


This end of the house has a lovely deck over the dining/living room.


Such a cute place for dirt dwelling ;-)


They have been doing the landscaping themselves. Pretty darn nice job for boat people!! Love that huge tree and the little back yard fireplace.


Jeannine's rock garden.


Her special Zen meditation area.


Up the hill is the rest of the back yard.


A very young Magnolia tree is blooming.


Spectacular bright orange flower.


Hot pink Calla Lily! My you guys grew some green thumbs!!


Marty drove me down to Salem Oregon to meet up with my parents. On the way around some horrible traffic jam, we happen to go past a place that Mike wants to visit some day. Too bad we did not have time to stop.

On a side note, I was sad to realize we had not taken any photos of ourselves together. So I will only have the joy of their friendship to remain in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment