Sunday, October 29, 2017

Hirifa, SE corner of Fakarava Atoll

29 July 2017

We wanted to walk the inner beach today, having already hiked along the outer reef on the back side of Hirifa motu. Plus that hammock was still on my mind. The cruiser hang out looked just as lovely as it did the night before, decorated with all kinds of cool stuff.

It was then that we noticed Momma Piggie and her piglets. They had been in their sty the night before. Today Liza had let them out to play on the beach. Here they are just wondering around under some pearl buoys hanging from a tree.

I assume Papa Pig must be a red head! They are so cute!

Tuamotuan pigs eat coconut and drink water from a bowl!


While some piglets nuzzle up to Momma's tit, others watch how she wiggled in the sand to find it cooler underneath and they all lay down for a nap. But somehow I don't think these guys are pets, as food is few and far between down here.

I finally get my chance to hang out in the hammock tied up between two palm trees (just like in a poem I wrote back in 1989)!
Can you tell by the smile on my face, that life is good!!!


Looking up the beach from Liza's is the most perfect overhanging palm tree. This one reminds me of the mural on my wall I had in my room in Keezletown, Virginia.
Further down the beach is this climb/swing hanging from a tall tree. I was told in order to get a cell phone signal, you have to climb up there and make your calls. (well at least they are private!)

Since I had no one to call and did not even have a phone, I decided to try out the swing. A float to sit on and a stick to hang on.

The doggie from the previous night was guarding his house on this end of the beach.

Looking back toward Liza's with the sand spit past her place and the dingy pulled up on the beach. This has to be one of the nicest beaches we have walked on in French Polynesia.

At the far end of the beach this black capped tern stands on the end of a decapitated palm tree.

Here we find Liza's great grandparents house, or what is left of it.

In case you can't see it, the stone over the entry way is dated 1879. The walls are made of coral and cement. Wonder how long cement has been around?

There are two graves out back, one for her grandparents and the other for a young child who did not live near long enough.

I love the big Murex shell decorating the top. No names tho, but Liza had told us they were her relatives.


The beach is still quite lovely down at this end, the palm just does not hang as far out over the water.

There are lots of little hermit crabs running around on the beach. This cute guy I think still needs to grow into his new shell.

Finally, the photo I had wanted, me with that tree! Gracias Miguel!!

The sun makes this beautiful rainbow in a squall out over the ocean on the other side of Hireefa.

Shelly with her newly collected shell collection!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment