Friday, September 9, 2016

Sophie the Super Sailor Dog

It was Tuesday July 19 when Vet Florence met with us to tell us the bad news about Sophie's test results. Her blood showed positive for Leishmania disease, which is something not tolerated by the government here because they don't have it here. The Gov. Guy that spoke to Mike said we either had to fly out of the country with her immediately or put her down. Lucky for us, Florence was going to Bora Bora on Wednesday and would not be back until Monday. So we had a “going off to college” party for Sophie. We had Rick, Jasna, Jose and Gina over for pork chop dinner and she got to eat every one of those pork bones!
As I write this now 6 weeks later, I thought it would be hard for me. Finally getting used to her not being here, but we still miss her mucho! I personally miss her most when I am cooking in the galley. She always watched me closely from either the cockpit port hole or galley floor when ever I was cooking. Probably because I always gave her treats.
So instead of me writing the rest of this blog, I am going to channel Sophie and she will tell you what she was thinking in all these wonderful photos of her life.

This is a new rendition of a song cousin Katie wrote when she came to visit me in Mexico the first time.
My name is Sophita
I am a perritia
I came from Baja California Sur
I am a sailor
I crossed the Ocean and
Became a Shellback with my mom
Now we live in Polynesia
Tradewinds are our breeze, ya
We sail to Islands all around
Now I'm in heaven
With my buddy Lucky
Forever in Paradise we can be found!

When we first got Lucky, he could walk under my belly, but he grew up fast and tall. He still liked to nuzzle me and see if I would save him any food.

But then I had to jump on him and let him know I was in charge!

Even if you have a mouth big enough for my head to fit in!

I love my daddy so much! Lick, lick, lick!

When I jump up on the couch back, Lucky can't get me, because he is not allowed on the couch!

We are so happy! Look how fast our tails are moving!

I hate it when it rains, so I get dad to carry me under his rain coat.


When we were selling boats at La Paz Yachts, I often laid on coils of line, dreaming of the days when we could live on a boat again.

Once we all went to the beach and dad took me for a ride on his new paddle board. I am small so I get to go. Neener neener, Chocolate'


Finally we are back living on the boat. I love the smell of the salt air!

Hey dad, did you ever figure out how to stand up on that board? Do you need me to come rescue you?!

Kevin knows how to give a good ride!



At Kevin's 40th birthday party, I got to play football with the boys. I would bark at whoever had the ball to get them to throw it, then chase after it, to see if I could catch it.


 A few times I fell into the pool, but usually someone was there to help me back out.

Kevin is one heck of a golfer! Can you believe how far out into the Sea of Cortez he can hit those things?

Oh man, my favorite spot, in some cool shady sand!!

This is my Mexican family, Uncle Chacho, Aunt Cindy, Chocolate, Mom, Momma Kitty, Dad and ME!!

Why are we tied to the dock?! Are you guys ready to go sailing yet?!

Finally, a coil of line to sleep on, with a gentle rolling boat underneath me. One of my favorite nap spots!!

OMG today it is so hot, I am napping close to my water, just in case I need a drink!!

Sometimes the boat moves a bit much for me and I have to hold on to the cushions.

When it is really rough, I have to wear my harness and I keep the binoculars handy when on watch.

I am the Captain of this boat!

Another nap on a coil of line, so comfy!!

I am starting to feel a little sea sick.

No I do not want to stand another watch!! I want to find some land!!

Who me, I would never complain!

If I push the button hard enough I could call for help if they need me to.

This is how you stand a night watch when it is rough.

Oh, were you sitting here? I don't see your name on this seat!!

Mom are we shellbacks yet??!

Yea baby, I am a sailor dog, shellback and all!!

Hey whatcha doin in the galley mom?

Can I please have some!?!

God there are some good smells that come out of this port hole!!


When it is too rough for me to be out in the cockpit, my favorite spot is in the aft cabin. I can hold on right where the hull curls up from the cabin sole.

Dad are you going to eat that fish or throw him back?

I love napping on the aft deck when we are at anchor.

Pedro built this hatch turtle, just so I could lay here!


This is my goat bone and don't you even try to take it away from me!!

I really hate being checked for ticks, but it feels good when dad rubs me!

The water that comes out of the spray hose is warm.

I much prefer to have mom give me a bath in the sink.

Just get this bath over with, please!

After a good rub down with the towel, I like sleeping with dad in the cockpit.

Wow all that water and finally we see some land!!

Boy did we party that night, I am sooooo hung over!

This is my buddy Pedro's boat, Jade. He lets me come an visit anytime mom and dad do.

I had to wear my lifejacket this day when paddle boarding with mom, because we were in shark infested waters. It was a good thing I did too, as I slipped off the bow, but nobody ate me thank god!

I like riding in the kayak with dad much better. I feel safer inside the boat between his legs.

Dad, I love you so much, thanks for takin me on a dingy ride!!

This was the day we all arrived in Cooks Bay, Moorea and I got to be in the photo too!!

These are all my buds from crossing the Pacific. We had a great time that night!

I sure miss you lots mom and dad from up here in heaven!!

No comments:

Post a Comment